Tuesday, February 19, 2013

APPOINTMENT WITH DR. CALLISTER

I had an appointment today, February 18, with Dr. Matt Callister who is a radiation oncologist.  We originally became acquainted with Dr. Callister at the Mayo Clinic, then he became head of the radiation department at Banner M.D. Anderson.  He reviewed my records from Mayo which showed that I had five weeks of five days a week radiation therapy in 2010 before my second surgery.  He does not feel that more radiation at this time is a good idea, as it is not likely to cure the cancer.  He also said that often when they do a second round of radiation, they are disapponted in the results.  He doesn't feel that the lesion on my lung is serious enough to warrant radiation at this time.
 
We will go back to Dr. Homsi on February 27 to discuss the possibility of the oral medication that he told us about last week.
 
In the meantime, we are leaving tomorrow for Washington, D.C. to attend the burial of my brother, Byron, at Arlington Cemetery.  Byron passed away on January 4, and we were able to attend his funeral.  As there are so many veterans dying, there is a waiting period for the ceremony at Arlington.  He will receive full military honors at his burial this Thursday, February 21.  I will write about it and post pictures when we return. 

No comments:

Post a Comment